Thursday, July 24, 2014

What's in My Pantry

Photo from my archives

The key to being able to cook amazing meals, throwing together a cheese plate for unexpected company, or creating a quick desert to take to a sick friend is to have a well stocked pantry, freezer, and refrigerator. From staples that are always in my home, I can make almost anything at a moment's notice.

Figuring out everything you need can be daunting, so I am sharing with you what I keep on hand at all times. This does not include freezer meats (I always keep frozen shrimp and scallops on hand for a quick dinner).

My list is by no means going to work for everyone, but I think it is a solid starting point for anyone wanting a solid starter or base grocery list for all the must-have ingredients.

I am posting this as a photo so that it can be printed out and used as a shopping list.


If you can't afford all this at once, add 1-2 items to your basket each time you go to the grocery store. Here are a few great tips for gathering ingredients on a budget:
  • Spices can be found in the ethnic aisle for much less than in the baking aisle!    
  • Coriander is actually cilantro seed and is easy to grow. When the cilantro matures it becomes coriander again (never ending supplies of both)! 
  • Fresh mint (such as peppermint and spearmint) can be grown anywhere in the yard and will come back year after year. It is easy to harvest and dry so that it is available during winter months.
  • Rosemary is a hearty year-round plant that makes a great landscaping bush and will give it's piney flavored stems all year. 
  • Oregano can be grown in a planter, harvested many times, dried, and jarred for all year use.
  • Go in with a friend and buy in bulk. I do this with garlic, lemons, and potatoes. Often you will pay half the price for bulk items as you would for a single family size at places like Sam's Club. 
  • Keep green onions in a glass with a little water in the kitchen. Snip off what you need, and it will last indefinitely by regrowing right in the kitchen!
I tend to stay away from spices in discount stores because as spices age, they lose their flavor. I would rather pay retail and have the flavor in my food.

Please, let me know if you think anything should be added! Also, please feel free to share by using the below links to Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter!

I hope you enjoy! And I hope you have a very spicy weekend!


4 comments:

  1. There are some great tips here. I'm going to have to try your green onion trick - seems like we are always going through those so quickly, we never have any on hand when we need them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, markmywordsite! I'm glad you likes the tips. I keep a small glass with green onion all the time. I have a habit of forgetting to add water, but I have actually had one bunch of onions last a few months!

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Melissa, I am so impressed with your list and tips!

    "Coriander is actually cilantro seed and is easy to grow. When the cilantro matures it becomes coriander again (never ending supplies of both)! "

    Wow...I had no idea about that!

    "Fresh mint"

    When I was growing up, I remember my father having an herb garden in our backyard and growing fresh peppermint. OMG...there is nothing like using a few fresh peppermint leaves in a glass of iced tea!

    Thanks for sharing, girl. I'm learning so much for you!

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
    X

    P.S. Glad to see Mark stopped by your blog. He's a GREAT guy who I've been blogging with now for about 4 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Ron!

    Isn't peppermint the best? I love it on my tea too. It also gives a certain something to lamb dishes and also those peppermint patties I brought up when I came. I need to post that recipe too.

    I hope your weekend was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete