Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Kartoffelsala (German Potato Salad)

 

The first time I ever had Kartoffelsala was at a theme park. I don't recall if it was King's Dominion or Busch Gardens, but it was many, many years ago. The warmth of the potatoes, the sweetness of the onions, and the slightest vinegar "bite" drew me in and held me captive.

This German potato salad recipe is a great option when you want something different. It goes with everything from sausages to burgers. It's fairly simple too!


 Kartoffelsala (German Potato Salad)

Level: Easy
Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients

3 lbs potatoes diced into bite sized pieces, peel on.
(red potatoes are traditional, I used russet)

2 quarts water (for boiling potatoes)

3 Tbsp kosher salt (for boiling potatoes)

3 slices bacon, diced 

1 medium onion, sliced

1/4 Cup chicken (or vegetable) broth

1/4 Cup vinegar

1/4 Cup sugar

1 Tbsp fresh thyme

Kosher salt & fresh ground black pepper to taste



Directions

Bring potatoes to boil in 2 quarts water and 3 Tbsp Kosher salt. Cook about 10 minutes, or until fork tender, but not falling apart. 


 Meanwhile:

 Render bacon fat in a cast iron skillet. Remove bacon with slotted spoon when browned and set aside.

Cook onions in bacon grease until soft and translucent, 5-6 minutes. 


Whisk together broth, vinegar, sugar, thyme, salt, and pepper. Pour into pan with onions and reduce by 1/3.

When potatoes are done, drain off water. Pour onion mixture over potatoes, sprinkle with bacon, and mix together. Transfer to serving bowl. Serve warm.


Please, let me know if you try this recipe! I would love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. Melissa, it's so funny because I always seem to read your posts right after I eat my dinner, but yet, I'm always hungry again after reading and seeing your recipes!

    This looks beyond delicious! I love me some good German Potato salad!

    Do you know what I enjoy about your recipes? They're "good old-fashioned and hearty food recipes" and not "Spa food recipes" in which everything is fat-free, sugar-free, organic, or vegan.

    I eat very much like a European, I want the REAL stuff like, real butter, real sugar, and real bacon because I think it makes food tastier.

    So ROCK ON, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron, your comment made me laugh aloud! I'm sure you could tell when Tim and I came to visit that we are definitely not spa foods people! We enjoy good food, and I pride myself on my ability to take anything healthy and turning it into something delicious and fattening!

    Hope you are enjoying your week!

    ReplyDelete