Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Rosemary Chicken Dinner in the Dutch Oven


I have always loved cookware and kitchen gadgets. There is something to be said for having the right tool for every situation. Over the years, I have accumulated many cooking toys. Some are used often, some have never been used at all. One has earned a permanent place on top of my stove. It is my Dutch oven.

I use my Dutch oven at least twice a week on average and I use it almost every day during the Fall and Winter months. It is one investment that I am very glad I made. Without it, I don't think I would have ever become the cook that I have, and I know that I wouldn't have as much interest in cooking. It is just that versatile. I can make soups and stews, braise a pork shoulder, and make a pot of chili. I can whip up chicken and dumplings or simmer an etouffee. I can use it for deep frying or even baking. My Dutch oven is my single most important kitchen tool.

One of the better features of a Dutch oven is that it enables one vessel meals. I can make a meat, a starch, and all the vegetables needed for a full meal without messing up a lot of pots and pans. This goes a long way in helping me get dinner on the table, cleaning up afterward, and having time to kick back and relax at the end of the day.

This recipe is for Rosemary Chicken Dinner. It can feed up to four people, takes only 10 minutes or so to prepare, and doesn't require constant monitoring. Just put it all together, pop it in the oven, and forget about it for an hour and a half.

Rosemary Chicken Dinner

Time
 
Prep: 10 minutes
Inactive: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Total: 1 hours, 55 minutes

Ingredients

4 chicken thighs (or other pieces)
1/2 lb baby red potatoes
1/2 lb baby carrots
1 medium onion, quartered and separated
1 quart mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 lemon
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
4 sprigs fresh rosemary

Directions

Preheat oven to 350  


In a dutch oven, mix together potatoes, carrots, onions, and mushrooms. Place chicken on top of vegetables (I use bone in thighs because of the added flavor).



In a small bowl combine olive oil, juice from 1 lemon, and minced garlic.Stir well so that all are combined. Pour the mixture evenly over the chicken thighs.

Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper and place 1 sprig of fresh rosemary on top of each chicken thigh. 

Cover and place in the preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours.

After 1 1/2 hours, remove the lid, turn the heat up to 450, and place back into the oven for another 15 minutes so that the 
chicken can brown.
 

The smell is intoxicating! This is such a simple meal to make, and it is very satisfying. It is easy enough to have during the week, yet nice enough to serve to guests. 


If you try this recipe, please leave a comment and let me know what you think! If you change anything, let me know that too!

If you like what you see, and wish to be notified of new posts, click the "Subscribe" button to the right. 
Thanks for visiting!




 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent blog I visit this blog it's really awesome.The important thing is that in this blog content written clearly and understandable.Content of information is very informative. Thanks for excelent and great idea.keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete